As the start of summer official kicks off, NW Pest Control aims to help protect the public from harmful stinging insects like wasps, yellowjackets and hornets that could be buzzing and nesting nearby.
While summer is an ideal time for fun and lounging around in the yard, it is also the season during which stinging insects thrive. These insects can be very dangerous and should always be handled by a licensed pest control professional, especially when it comes to nest removal when hornets and wasps may attack.
According to the NPMA, stinging insects send more than 500,000 people to the emergency room annually. NW Pest Control is committed to help reduce this number by educating homeowners on how to protect themselves with these tips:
- Seal all cracks and crevices: Seal all visible cracks and crevices to keep these pests from moving indoors, and regularly inspect around the yard and along the perimeter of the house for nests.
- Keep food covered: During a picnic or cookout, cover all food when outside and be sure to keep tight fitting lids on trash bins.
- Avoid excessive use of fragrances. If spending long periods of time outdoors, avoid excessive use of perfume or cologne, as yellowjackets and other stinging insects are attracted to sweet-smelling fragrances. When possible, choose unscented shampoos, soaps, lotions, and sunscreen is also ideal.
- Adjust wardrobe: Avoid wearing dark colors and floral prints, since these patterns can attract stinging insects. Wear closed-toe shoes, especially in grassy areas where hornets and other pests often nest.
- Remain calm and collected: Do not swat a nearby pest or flail round in a panic. These movements may actually provoke an attack. Instead, remain calm and slowly walk away from the area. The insect should fly away without causing any harm.
For more information on stinging insects or if you think you may have an infestation, please visit www.nwpestcontrol.com or contact us for a complete home pest inspection.