While the summer season often yields vacations, backyard BBQs and family picnics, it also welcomes a houseguest that nobody wants—ants! From food contamination to costly property damage, these pests can pose serious health and property risks. This summer season, make it a goal to have an ant-free home.
Ants are social pests that live and work in large complex colonies, spotting even just one ant indoors could indicate the presence of a nest with thousands nearby, making it crucial to call a pest control professional immediately to assess the situation.
Although small in size, these pests can cause big problems on your property. To prevent an ant infestation in your home, follow these tips.
- Wipe up crumbs and spills immediately
- Keep food packages closed or sealed and store products in tightly airtight containers
- Store garbage in sealed containers and regularly remove it from the home
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the home, including entry points for utilities and pipes
- Repair holes or gaps in window and door screens
- Keep pet food and water dishes clean
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around the basement foundation and windows
Summer is the peak season for these unwanted invaders like ants to surface, so it is important to take precautions and pay close attention to signs of a potential infestation. If you discover ants in your home, contact a licensed pest professional who can identify ant species and recommend a course of treatment. To learn more about ants, please visit www.nwpestcontrol.com.